"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, March 04, 2016

a day off

We sleep in until 6:34 AM, when Andie suddenly bounces awake at the foot of the bed, and scampers up to say good morning, nose to nose.

We both burst out laughing.

Spike makes bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast, served with steaming hot, dark roast coffee. Brief moment of panic when the smoke alarm goes off.

Note to self:
Bacon makes the smoke alarm go off.

I retreat to my at-home workspace, because day off or not, I have a boatload of work to do. My brain, overloaded for the last while, finally starts functioning creatively again. It's been awhile. Andie plays for awhile and then falls asleep beside me. 

I can hear Spike cleaning the apartment, washing things, straightening things, putting things away, all as quietly as possible. And then he picks up his guitar to learn some songs. He'll play through his headphones for the next several hours and wonder where the time went. 

I've said it before,
and I'll say it again:
he's never more himself
than when he has a guitar on. 

Andie stands up, stretches, turns around and flops down again with a deep sigh of contentment. I keep writing. 

It's a good day.

I'm grateful. 

Happy Outrage-Free Friday to you!