"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

at the playground

Monday this week was different from most Mondays. Most Mondays I'm off. I do school work at home. I may or may not interact with anyone. Or put makeup on.

But this Monday was different. I had pastoral duties to do, so I spent the afternoon in pastoral-looking clothes, complete with solemn pastoral heels and a black dress jacket, doing what I could to bring comfort where it was needed. From there, I went to City Hall to sign the book of condolences for Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. So ... a rather more sombre afternoon than most Mondays are.

And then this happened.

Oh ... well, what HAPPENED was, last January I learned we had some funding to hire a part-time Assistant Pastor. So I looked and I looked and I looked, o'er hill and dale.

And then last June, an intern came, for a few weeks. She was fantastic. A perfect fit. We snapped her up.

So in September, she moved here. And brought THIS guy with her.


He's pretty great too. He's my new favourite six-year-old. We shared some stale two-bite brownies one day and became firm friends.

He and I got to hang out for a few hours Monday evening, unexpectedly. But as I said, I was in solemn, pastoral clothes. Heels, long black jacket.

He didn't see that as a problem at all.



"Pastor PATTI, come and GET me!!!"

So if you saw an oddly dignified-looking pastoral-type female in heels racing around a woodchip playground and swinging off monkey bars Monday night - tag - you're it.