"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, June 20, 2011

veggies for me

If you're a relatively new reader, you may not know the background to this story. It's here. The urban farmer that I met from that ad could not use our yard for growing veggies. It's too shady. (Which explains my lack of success.)

BUT - he's been successful in other yards. And this year I bought a season's worth of locally-grown vegetables. I pick them up each week, from his own back yard, which is literally around the corner from where I work.

Last week was the first week. It was very exciting. I ventured into his back yard, where a chalkboard identified each item, and gave clear directions. To my left were two rows of milk crates, one row above the other. Each milk crate had a different item, all the produce divided into individual portions. It was simple enough - my "for one" share says I can have one from each milk crate.

Here's what I walked away with.

Arugula


Tatsoi



Spinach



Beet Greens



Green Garlic


Rhubarb



Cilantro



Lemon Balm


Ate a whopping couple of salads from that, with the addition of some locally-grown strawberries I bought, and some toasted almonds. I was so nutrified last week, I could hardly stand it.

I was going to make this ... but I didn't get around to it. Life happened.

But I did make some rhubarb crisp.



Used this recipe ... and to be honest ... not my favourite recipe. Too much crisp. And too much sugar. I like the tartness of rhubarb. It was still good though. I'm not saying I didn't eat it. Because I did.

Today I go for Week 2. I don't know if it will be more of the same - I kind of hope so - I'd like to try again with that recipe I didn't get around to. But if it's different, I'll Google some more recipes and let you know how it goes.

And for the record ... some of my very own homegrown rhubarb went into the rhubarb crisp too. So I can honestly put a "moments in my garden" label on this post.