"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Saturday, September 12, 2009

first day - the report

The first session didn't happen - apparently there are no tutorials the first week, but they prefer to let you have the joy of discovering that on your own.

And I had already come extra early, to allow time for parking on the other side of the city (which, turns out, I didn't have to do) and to find where I was to be (which took all of 5 minutes). So I had a good hour and a half to walk around the campus and people-watch.

Finally, we filed into the lecture hall - all 300 of us. I aimed for a "leftie" desk. (I may not have been in school for a long time, but I remember trying to write left on a desk for "righties". There's just not enough chiropractic coverage for those contortions. That's right. I'm a mature student now. My back goes out sometimes, and I'm not ashamed to say it.)

Chatted briefly to a few people. Silently noted that I was not the only oldie in the class. Realized it didn't matter to me anyway.

And over the next two hours, as course outlines were reviewed, papers were discussed and a few introductory thoughts were presented, I smiled with contentment. I get to learn again! It's been a long time coming, this particular dream of mine. But now that I'm here, it feels exactly right.

All I can tell you is what I texted to Spike on my way back to the car....

"i m so happy!!"